30-Day Road Test Guarantee
Try our bibs for 30 days and if they're rubbing you the wrong way send them back. Each order comes with a pre-paid return label, simply use this label to ship them back for a full refund or exchange for a new size. If you're exchanging your bibs that have been ridden in, please note that the 30-Day Guarantee applies to 1 replacement bib per purchase. If the second pair doesn't work out, they must be in new/unworn condition in order to qualify for a refund. For in-store purchases check with your local dealer for details.
1-Year Crash Replacement Program
Nobody likes the thought of going down on a ride, but if it happens and your kit becomes unridable, we'll replace it up to 1 year from purchase. Email us a picture of your shredded kit, along with your order number, and we'll replace like-for-like goods. Please note, minor bumps and scrapes don't apply. (They just add to your badass credibility!) If you're unsure whether the damage warrants a replacement, shoot us a picture and we can assess the damage.
6-Month Manufacturer's Guarantee
With proper care, our jerseys and bibs can hold up to the most intensive training programs. On the off chance that you notice a manufacturer's defect in your bibs or jersey within 6 months of purchase, send them back for exchange. To arrange shipping, please contact us at email@example.com with your order number and the item(s) that need to be replaced.
Please note that the 30 Day Road Test Guarantee applies to bibs only. Jerseys and Bibs are covered under the 1 Year Crash Replacement and 6 Month Manufacturer's Guarantee. Offer does not apply to accessories. For international exchanges, we ask all customers to return the item at their expense using a local carrier. Items can be returned to us at PO Box 50600, Los Angeles, California 90050. Please be sure to include your order number, name the order was placed under, and a contact email. We recommend insuring and tracking the package as Machines For Freedom is not responsible for lost merchandise. Machines For Freedom will cover the cost to ship you your new items. For International Crash Replacements, the customer will be responsible for the shipping costs of the new item.
Essential for every adventure.
So. Many. Firsts. The first cycling short EVER from Machines For Freedom. The first new piece in the Machines’ line to feature our new inclusive size range, extending from X-Small to XXX-Large! The first cycling short truly designed for the long-distance rider.
Many view shorts as the novice kit, a first step on the way to bibs. But our community was saying something different… They aren’t beginners; they’re out there riding centuries and multi-day tours, mile after mile. But they prefer the easy in and out of a short without losing any of the technical benefits of a high-performance bib.
Enter: The Essential Short. Designed for the endurance rider who simply prefers a short. With thoughtful details like a yoga-inspired waistband to eliminate uncomfortable pressure and a seamless silicon leg band so they stay put. The 8.5" Inseam makes for a versatile, mid-thigh fit.
After more than one year of development, we’re confident this is the best cycling short for women. Period.
- The 8.5" Inseam makes for a versatile, mid-thigh fit.
- The Essential Short features the same fan-favorite chamois as Machines’ Endurance Bib. It’s graded for 6+ hours in the saddle, bacteriostatic to inhibit infections, and wide enough for most women’s sit bones.
- The yoga-inspired waistband is revolutionary: compressive enough to stay up without sagging, but soft enough to eliminate elastic bands that dig when in the riding position.
- New seamless leg bands stay put without squeezing.
- Machines’ iconic paneled construction combines style and a flattering sleek silhouette.
- Highest quality European fabric is compressive, moisture-wicking, and silky soft to the touch.
Size & Fit
|WAIST (in)||HIPS (in)|
|XS||23.5 - 25.5||
34 - 36
|S||25.5 - 27.5||
36 - 39
|M||27.5 - 30.5||
39 - 42
|L||30.5 - 33.5||
42 - 45
|XL||33.5 - 36.5||
45 - 48
|XXL||36.5 - 39.5||
48 - 51
|XXXL||39.5 - 42.5||
51 - 54
Notes about fit
- For cycling bibs and shorts, the HIP MEASUREMENT is the most crucial factor.
- Measure around the WIDEST POINT of the hips/bum.
- If you are between sizes or petite (5'3" or under), we recommend SIZING DOWN for a compressive fit.
- A snug fit is crucial to performance.
- Check out our FIT GUIDE for more detailed instructions, or pop your measurements into the fit calculator above for a personalized recommendation! (Please note, the fit guide requires chest, waist and hip measurements.)
- Ultra high density ischiatic inserts will stay comfortable for up to 6 hours in the saddle. Positioning works for all sit bones widths.
- Thermo-molded design makes this chamois look, and feel, less bulky.
- High density ‘pelvic track’ insert shaped for a woman’s anatomy.
- Extremely soft and breathable fabric. Polymide-carbon threading makes the fabric ultra fast drying, bacteriostatic, and reduces heat gain during long hours in the saddle.
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
I didn't think that it would be possible to find a pair of cycling shorts that were as good, if not better, than cycling bibs. However, the Essential Cycling Short out performs all of my bibs, aside from the MFF Endurance Bib. The fit is perfect, comfortable and stays in place during rides. They are now my go-to shorts and now that the weather is changing, my love for these shorts has prompted me to purchase the Essential Cycling Pant!
Super comfortable and quick drying, especially when wearing for several days in a row. Love them.
I bought the Essential Cycling Short as a TreatYourself and extraordinarily glad I did! I have a pair of the bibs and think they're smashing but these shorts are the bee's knees! Flattering and comfy, can't recommend them enough!
Awesome fit, fabric and look fearless! took them for a 50 mile ride with some minor soreness that's partially attributed to a new saddle. followed size chart (5'11", 31" w, 39.5"hips with most of my weight carried in my hips & thighs - size M). the shorts stayed in place after 3+ hrs of riding with no sagging of the chamois - joy! a slight drawback is the leg grippers are subtle so when used with knee warms the shorts slide up. the legs have to be re-positioned every so often. not a deal breaker though. i'll get plenty of use during indoor riding this winter and can't wait for next spring!
These shorts fit like a glove. I’m a size small with an athletic build. I’m 5’3, 120 lbs. At first I didn’t think the shorts would fit they look so small. It’s a bit hard to put on but once they are on it fits like a glove.. Please make petite length.
You Might Like These
The Most Versatile Pant
The Summerweight Long Sleeve in Palmera
The Indigo Print
Endurance Bib // Tall
The Summerweight Long Sleeve Cycling Jersey in Desert Bloom
The Florazzo Print
The Summerweight Long Sleeve Cycling Jersey in Jaded Rose
The Fruits Print
Zwift x Machines // The Hive Limited Edition Cycling Jersey
The Pebble Print in Sherbet
The Summerweight Long Sleeve in Moonlight
Shipping & Returns
Shopping for cycling clothes isn’t easy so we took the risk out of shopping online.
FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING
Get your order within 1-4 business days, even to Hawaii and Alaska.
FREE DOMESTIC RETURNS
Don’t love it? No problem. A pre-paid return label is included in every shipment.
We ship worldwide! Free for orders over $500.